Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Nature Sounds

Hi everyone,

I am so moved and impressed by everyone's projects last night. It means a lot that so many of you shared them with us.

Here's the audio file that I didn't have the chance to share. While I originally intended it to be experienced in a enclosed space, it would be in interesting experiment to see how it's received in different places.

In process, I wanted to create an installation, a standing environment in which to enter and be enveloped. I’ve prepared what is like something of an in between for my installation, like an idea existing for how I would like to construct it and how I would imagine it being experienced. The structure itself would be free standing, where an adult could comfortably enter and sit, with little or no light. There is a specific need in this exercise in sound and perception for the body to enter a space and experience an affective difference in the process of entering; as opposed to putting a blindfold on and removing a physical sensor, it would be to enhance a sensory experience of listening and how it could thus be perceived.

I was trying to explore an installation that can explore concepts of environment and affect, outside of our typical understanding of nature, and instead imaging nature as other types of human environments. This piece was inspired by the idea of nature outside of nature, ecologies and environments that appear “natural” when we engage with and within them. So I’ve made a sound reel with tracks of places that thrive on human populations and traffic — the Jean Talon market, the metro, a bar. 


Made with colonial, western, and capitalist conditions in mind, I hope to capture how we experience sound outside of their natural environment and in an enclosed space as a alternative way to think through time, captured time, and the realities of time within separate spaces. 

You can listen or download it here:

https://soundcloud.com/andymarlo/nature-sounds

No comments:

Post a Comment